Sunday 30 January 2011

A over T for an SMS

From Law Brief Update:

A woman who was filmed at a shopping mall by cctv, walking into a fountain while texting on her mobile phone, says she may sue the shopping centre which apparently leaked the video to YouTube.

Cathy Cruz Marrero said in an interview with readingeagle.com that she is “mortified” by the incident, which was captured by security staff at the Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania, USA.

The footage was posted to YouTube. It features multiple camera angles and members of the security team are heard laughing and ridiculing the woman as her accident occurs.

Marrero said, “My issue is I don’t think security was professional because they didn’t send anyone to check on me until 20 minutes later and I had already left. Instead of laughing, they should have said, ‘Is she OK?’ and been down there right away to check on me.”

 

A over T for an SMS

After my post about the Road SMS app last week, I couldn’t pass this one up.  I bet Marrero wishes she’d been using that app; that way, she might have avoided the ignominy of her impromptu double forward flip into the fountain.  Ahem.

And what about all of the water Marrero sloshed about on that slippery floor? Slippery surfaces can have elderly shoppers slipping over and popping out a hip in an instant. And no shopping mall wants to be hit by a personal injury lawsuit, least of all an American one!

Talking of that, I remember tripping up the steps near Time Square on a trip to New York making absolute tit of myself in the process.

And no, I wasn’t texting at the time. 

1 comment:

  1. Bloody hell, I believe that is an example of what is being referred to as 'iPod oblivion.' Except it doesn't involve an iPod.

    She's just trying to sue to spare her already-spreading blushes. Grow up and move on!

    ReplyDelete