Wednesday 8 April 2009

Friendface

 

No doubt many of you will recognise this from the latest series of the IT crowd, but it’s such a good parody of social networks -and particularly Facebook – that I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share it on Law Actually.

In the explanatory video of what Friendface is all about, an analogy with contagious illnesses is drawn.  And I think that’s about right for a lot of social networks out there.

Some of my favourite quotes:

“Each Friendface page is like a petridish filled with Friendface germs.”

“It’s basically a diseased face of friendship.”

“Just sign up to Friendface by giving us all of your personal information.”

“We own everything you put on friendface – it says so in the terms and agreements. But don’t worry about that, we won’t use it to do anything bad – we promise!”

Later in the actual episode, Moss bemoans that his mother has signed up to Friendface, meaning he must endure yet another channel of communication with her. When colleague Jen suggests that that can only be a good thing, Moss’ reservations quickly become understandable when he reveals she’s set her online mood to ‘sensual’.

Love it.

You just can’t beat this stuff.

6 comments:

  1. I want to leave FB, especially since the latest layout change. It is actually quite useful for staying in contact though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've heard a lot of people bemoaning the new user interface.

    I hear people saying all the time that they want to leave social networking sites (usually Facebook) but just don't feel able to cut the ties. I guess that's when you know they've truly 'got you'.

    I'm well out of it, I guess. :-)

    (though I have tinkered on and off with Twitter for the past couple of years). What a hypocrite!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love IT Crowd, can't wait for the next season :( Although FM is pretty funny too.

    P.s. I don't want to leave FB, it's a great tool to keep in touch with people, as I've said before.

    Twitter? Eww...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking about getting rid of my FB page too....it's becoming more of a hassle but its really great for keeping in touch...decisions, decisions!!

    Twitter has been on the news everywhere recently but I have a blog and FB and soon I'll have no real life lol!

    p.s. liking ur new layout :) I wish I was as good at PhotoShop as you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I'm impressed with your [programme name that I don't know] skills.

    I know, FB sucked me in. But still - it's better than twitter :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, the amount of people of FB is just staggering and I don't see myself caving in to it any time soon. Maybe it's because I'm such a contrarian... so if it suddenly fell out of favour with the rest of the world, I'd probably sign up.

    I'll carry on tinkering with Twitter in the meantime, however much you guys might rag on me for it. :p

    p.s. Glad you're liking the new Law Actually design.

    ReplyDelete