Saturday 20 September 2008

Law Stuff

Law Stuff September seems be slipping by with frightening speed and, as we approach the latter stages of the month, it can only mean one thing: it’s LLM time.

Yes, faithful blog-watchers, the Michael will soon be back doing some ‘law stuff’ after a varied and at times, strained summer. I think I’ve divulged on Law Actually before that my LLM is based on commercial content, God help me. No, seriously: I know what I’m doing. Some of my modules are perhaps a touch questionable, though: banking law? Seriously? Anyone? I’m hoping that one isn’t going to come back to bite me.

For the most part I’m excited at the prospect of the LLM - much more so than I was this time last year about the LPC. For the next week, I’m going to be enjoying a little down-time before things start in earnest. Coupled with the course, I’m hoping to work a little part time as well, just to help grease the wheels from the financial standpoint. And believe me; those wheels could use some greasin’.

I’ve also not forgotten about my 'open-source law student' experiment which I mentioned earlier in the summer. I’ve done a few more preliminary tests with Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) but noted with excitement that Intrepid Ibex is already at the Alpha 4 milestone, with the final version planned for release at the end of October. Yeah, you’re right: I really should get out more!

Anyway, I think I’ve learnt enough from my summer experiments with Ubuntu that I’m going to find the transition a struggle – at least the way I’m going to be doing it. For the record, Ubuntu is very user-friendly, powerful and full-featured. But using simply open source or free alternatives from commercial vendors is going to be tough, particularly as I’m used to relying heavily of the best-of-breed commercial heavyweight solutions. Oh well – it’ll be interesting if nothing else.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are still doing the open spource software thing! :D

    By the way, are there any free source mp3 players about (to repalce your not-so-free-sourse-new-shiny ipod?) :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's so wrong with my open source software experiment, Andro?! :-P

    Anyway, I'm not aware of any free ipod alternatives sadly. Still, I'm discounting it from the experiment as it's not essential to my law-studenty-needs in the same way that a word processor is. :-P

    ReplyDelete